Mar 13, 2007

Just call it the CN Tower of Babel

While on the way to lunch with a friend, I realized one of the things about Toronto that makes me smile.

Sitting on the subway, I'm aware of all the conversations around me. It makes me smile when I realize that I'm listening to at least two different languages. Today it was either Japanese or Korean, and an Eastern European language. And with my opened eyes and ears, I made sure to note this rare Toronto moment. Sitting on a subway in Paris or Barcelona - you rarely hear anything more than French or Spanish. Whether sitting on a subway or walking down a street in Toronto, you think nothing of hearing three different languages in passing.

I started thinking about my day, and how my breakfast at Croissant Tree was ordered after a man speaking Mandarin. Being in Union Station on a regular basis, I heard the VIA employees rambling on in French as they passed by. And my workplace is full of Italians and Portuguese who will chatter and natter on without thinking anything of it. And I love it.

No comments: